CLS Alumni are instrumental in our outreach efforts to prospective applicants regarding the program. Because CLS is a relatively young initiative, there are still many qualified students at colleges and universities across the U.S. who have not heard of the program. We rely heavily on CLS information sessions to help get the word out to these students, as well as to the faculty and staff at their institutions who will help to promote the program to new students for years to come.
As much as the CLS staff likes to travel, we can’t go everywhere every year. Alumni outreach helps to give CLS a voice all across the country; plus, prospective applicants love to hear stories from and ask questions of program alumni! Hearing about your first-hand experience on the program can be far more impactful for a prospective applicant than reading about the program online or in a brochure.
Feel free to contact us at 202-833-7522 or via email if you have any questions!
Alumni Recruitment Grants
To better support CLS alumni in outreach, the CLS Program is offering Alumni Recruitment Grants, up to $50, to alumni of all program years who plan recruitment activities. These small grants will be available for alumni recruitment activities taking place between September 1 and October 31, 2019. The application for Alumni Recruitment Grants will be open until October 20, 2019.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until October 20, 2019. Alumni who are able to demonstrate how funding will support their recruitment efforts will be considered. Approved uses of funds will include (but not be limited to):
- Transportation required for recruitment activity (mileage for a personal vehicle can be calculated at a rate of $0.58 per mile)
- Printing costs for materials
- Tabling costs for attendance at a study abroad or fellowships fair
- Room rental costs
- Refreshments that enhance recruitment
In order to receive approved funding, alumni are required to submit follow-up materials within two weeks of completing the recruitment activities. These reporting requirements include sending photos of the activity and writing a narrative report that includes information about the date, time, and location of the activity; number of attendees; and a detailed description of the event and its impact.
CLS Program alumni are invited to apply through October 20, 2019.
Materials to Support Your Outreach
We have several resources to support you in your outreach efforts!
- If you are interested in conducting an information session on your campus or in your community, read Spreading the Word (PDF), our guide to alumni-led information sessions.
- You may also want to download and print the CLS informational one-pager (PDF).
- If you're conducting a presentation, we invite you to use the PowerPoint template designed for alumni (PPTX).