Are you interested in sharing your experience while supporting and promoting the CLS Program? The application to become a 2022 CLS Alumni Ambassador is now open!
Who are CLS Alumni Ambassadors?
CLS Alumni Ambassadors take leadership roles as active and positive representatives of the CLS Program and of the U.S. Department of State. CLS Alumni Ambassadors are expected to engage with all CLS alumni and to represent the program to various audiences, including prospective CLS participants, program finalists, university staff, and the general public.
CLS Alumni Ambassadors are selected through a competitive process
each year. Approximately 20-25 alumni from the 2021 program will be
selected for this volunteer role for for 2022. We look for alumni who have
reflected on the successes and challenges of their experiences and want
to share their excitement for study abroad and the CLS Program with
Goals of the CLS Alumni Ambassador Program:
- Increase awareness of the CLS Program in communities across the United States
- Encourage undergraduate and graduate students to apply to the CLS Program to begin or continue their study of critical languages
- Reach diverse student audiences who might otherwise not consider, or not have the opportunity, to study abroad
- Share first-hand accounts of the impacts and benefits of the program with stakeholders and potential applicants
- Provide mentoring to CLS participants to support their success on program
- Facilitate career development, language learning, and networking opportunities for CLS alumni
- Provide a leadership development opportunity for CLS alumni
What do Alumni Ambassadors do?
CLS Alumni Ambassadors engage with all CLS alumni and represent the program to various audiences, including prospective CLS participants, program finalists, university staff, and the general public. Alumni Ambassadors are required to participate in the following activities:
- Monitor online forums (such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and/or
LinkedIn) and provide share your stories with prospective CLS scholars
- Plan and host events for CLS Program alumni
- Respond to questions from future and current CLS participants
- Write about your experiences on the CLS Program
- Mentor participants through the CLS Alumni Support Network
- Promote the CLS Program and study abroad in your community
- Work with CLS Program staff on various projects
Who is eligible?
Alumni who successfully completed the 2021 CLS Program are eligible to apply to be an Alumni Ambassador for 2022. Alumni of the 2021 program who are applying for the 2022 CLS Program are also eligible to apply to be 2022 Alumni Ambassadors.
Why should I apply?
Being a CLS Alumni Ambassador is an opportunity to share your experiences from the CLS Program. It also gives you a unique opportunity to meet CLS alumni from previous years and encourage all program alumni to engage with one another. Ambassadors help others apply for the CLS Program and shape the experience of future CLS participants by providing suggestions and advice to CLS Program staff. Alumni Ambassadors are also leaders who spearhead new initiatives in alumni programming and support scholars to prepare for the program.
Is training provided?
Yes! All selected CLS Alumni Ambassadors will be required to participate in an online training and invited to attend the two-day Alumni Ambassador Forum, usually held in Washington, D.C. in March. In 2022 it may be necessary to hold the Alumni Ambassador Forum virtually due to health and safety considerations. Dates will be announced after Alumni Ambassadors are selected. Should the Alumni Ambassador Forum take place in-person, travel costs will be covered by the CLS Program.
How do I apply?
Approximately 20-25 alumni from the 2021 program will be selected. We look for alumni who have reflected on the successes and challenges of their experiences and want to share their excitement for language study and the CLS Program with others. Alumni Ambassadors will be notified about their selection in December.
To apply, please complete the online application available here: 2022 CLS Alumni Ambassador Application
Applications are due by 11:59 pm EST on Friday, November 19, 2021.
To see a list of recent Alumni Ambassadors, go to: http://www.clscholarship.org/alumni/ambassadors/
Please contact Liz Sinclair, Alumni Engagement Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.