Are you interested in sharing your experiences while supporting and promoting the CLS Program? The application to become a 2019 CLS Alumni Ambassador is now open!
Who are CLS Alumni Ambassadors?
CLS Alumni Ambassadors are recent CLS participants who take leadership roles as active and positive representatives of the CLS Program.
CLS Alumni Ambassadors are selected through a competitive process each year. Approximately 20 alumni from the 2018 program will be selected to be CLS Alumni Ambassadors for 2019. We look for alumni who have reflected on the successes and challenges of their experiences and want to share their excitement for study abroad and the CLS Program with others.
Goals of the CLS Alumni Ambassador Program:
- Increase awareness of the CLS Program in communities across the United States
- Encourage undergraduate and graduate students to apply to the CLS Program to begin or continue their study of critical languages
- Reach diverse student audiences who might otherwise not consider, or not have the opportunity, to study abroad
- Share first-hand accounts of the impact and benefits of the program with stakeholders and potential applicants
- Provide mentoring to CLS participants to support their success on program
- Facilitate career development, language learning, and networking opportunities for CLS alumni
- Provide a leadership development opportunity for CLS alumni
What do Alumni Ambassadors do?
CLS Alumni Ambassadors engage with all CLS alumni and represent the program to various audiences, including prospective CLS participants, program finalists, university staff, and the general public. For instance, you can organize an online or in-person essay-writing workshop leading up to the CLS application deadline or give a presentation about the CLS Program at a college study abroad fair or a community event.
Alumni Ambassadors are required to participate in the following activities:
- Conduct outreach and promotional activities for CLS and study abroad in your community, school, and/or online
- Monitor social media such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and/or LinkedIn and provide prospective CLS students with information about your experience
- Participate in online Q&A sessions for newly-accepted CLS finalists
- Mentor participants through the CLS Alumni Support Network
- Write about your experiences on the CLS Program (program staff will work with you to identify local and national outlets)
- Plan and host in-person or on-line networking, language learning, or career-building events for CLS Program alumni
- Work with CLS Program staff on alumni and outreach projects as requested
Who is eligible?
Alumni who successfully completed the 2018 CLS Program are eligible to apply to be an Alumni Ambassador for 2019.
Why should I apply?
CLS Alumni Ambassadors take on an important leadership role in representing the CLS Program, helping to increase awareness and shape the image of the CLS Program to audiences across the United States. Being an Ambassador is a unique professional development opportunity that allows you to draw on your own experiences as you build your leadership skills and expand your networks.
Ambassadors are instrumental in increasing the numbers and diversity of CLS applicants, mentoring finalists and participants on-program, and strengthening the CLS alumni network. Ambassadors also spearhead new initiatives in outreach and alumni programming.
Is training provided?
Yes! All selected CLS Alumni Ambassadors will be required to participate in an online training and then invited to attend a two-day orientation in Washington, D.C. Dates will be announced after the selections have been made. Travel costs will be covered by the CLS Program.
How do I apply?
To apply, please complete the online application available here:
2019 Alumni Ambassador Application Link
Applications are due by 11:59 pm Eastern Time on February 14, 2019
To see a list of recent Alumni Ambassadors, go to: