- Contact your credit card company and bank to find out about fees for overseas purchases, cash advances, and ATM withdrawals.
- Inform your bank and credit card company of the dates of your trip so your cards are not turned off due to theft alert.
- Bring a 24-hour emergency number for your bank in the event that you need to contact them about a lost or stolen card.
- Make sure your ATM card will not expire during your time abroad. If needed, request a new card early.
- Consult the CDC’s country specific page to read about common diseases and other health risks. Do this before visiting your doctor in order to discuss those issues with him/her.
- Visit your doctor and complete all CLS Program required Medical Forms on the Accepted Student Portal.
- Make sure you have an eight-week supply of your prescription medications in their original packaging.
- Discuss which over-the-counter medications may be useful to take with you in case you have a minor illness in country.
- Discuss any physical, mental, or emotional issues that may need special attention while abroad.
- Make a plan for staying healthy while overseas.
- Make sure your immunizations are up to date. Talk with your doctor about recommended vaccinations.
- A special note to women travelers: If you have been prescribed birth control, make sure you have an eight-week supply of the medication you have been prescribed as birth control brands vary greatly or may not be available at all.
- Visit your dentist.
- When packing medication, put it in your carry-on bag in its original packaging and bring a copy of the prescription.
- Check with your health insurance provider about coverage while you are overseas.
- Familiarize yourself with ASPE health benefits.
- After receiving your CLS flight information, call the airline to arrange a special meal if you are vegetarian or if you have special dietary needs.
- Arrange for payment of any outstanding financial matters (for instance, student loan payments or paying rent) while you are abroad.
- Research Skype, long-distance phone plans, email, apps or phone cards that will allow you to stay in contact with your friends and family.
Downloadable Packing List
Download a full list of suggestions on what to pack.